Friday 18 November 2011

It is little I repair to the matches of the Southron folk

... ah, wrong sport again.

Normally by this stage of a season I will have been to London a couple of times to watch Dulwich Hamlet. However, for one reason and another, I have been occupied at home in Liverpool this year, so this weekend was my first Dulwich game of the season, away to Worthing.
Worthing played "Sussex by the Sea" as the teams took to the field. It is an inspiring tune, sometimes described as the county's unofficial anthem, leaving one wondering whether to stand to attention or look for a flag going up somewhere. Not that it makes a lot of sense in the whole county, but that is another story.

The Supporters' Teams of Dulwich and Worthing had played in the morning (more on that in a future post), when Sussex had reportedly been warmer than Syria. Fortunately for the first team, the temperature had dropped by the afternoon. I was quite pleased too, as I had to rush to get to the ground. I found after the supporters' game that my spare SD card had less gigabytes than I thought, the town centre is some distance from the station, and then there was a stop for fish and chips. It's rude not to when you are at the seaside, and if I will have the plaice ...

The floodlights, which looked as though they were of Blue Square South standard, were on from kick off, but it gets dark earlier in Worthing than I am used to in Liverpool. It is only 4 minutes' difference now (according to the US Naval Observatory's Civil Twilight tables), but I always get caught out by the half an hour's difference when I go south in the summer. Regular readers may think I have a thing about floodlights, but they affect most of what the photographer is able to do at this time of year.

The sports mode on the camera did not work very well, so I went straight to shutter priority with a shutter speed of 1/320s. For the first half, this allowed me to use the full range of the lens, and capture shots the full length of the pitch.
As I was photographing mainly for Dulwich supporters (and any photos the club and their local paper, the Southwark News, may want to use), all the considerations in the last post about constructing an album apply, with one complicating factor - I recognise less than half the players. It takes me about 3 - 4 weeks to get used to new Prescot players, watching them twice a week, so having watched Dulwich only 5 or 6 times last season, I know those who have been in the team for a year or two, but am a bit hazy on the rest.

Dulwich have made a good start to the season, maintaining a challenge for the top spot, and Worthing have had a run of form keeping them in contention for the playoff places. This showed in pace and skill, with the players of both sides making full use of the available space and passing options, which made even me feel a bit energetic keeping up with play.

It was therefore surprising that no-one noticed until the second half that a passing fox had left a message on the edge of one penalty area.
I come from a rural area, but the only time I have seen a fox is at East Dulwich station, near Dulwich Hamlet's ground - outside the big cities the fox tends to be observed more by a trail of damage. As I was leaving, the groundsman was lifting the goalnets and wrapping them in industrial strength plastic sheeting to protect them from the attentions of our vulpine chums.

The natural light lasted quite well, so I was able to maintain the 1/320s shutter speed well into the  second half.
I then dropped down to 1/250s, and then to 1/200s, with the high standard of the floodlights, and Dulwich's continuing to press forward at every opportunity ensured that I could capture some good images, even from behind the goal, right up to the end of the game.
The remainder of the pictures from the game can be seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment