Saturday 11 August 2012

I'm sure it's not supposed to crunch when you do that

That is what I have been saying for 30 years when I rotate my left arm. As the occasional discomfort in the shoulder (usually in damp weather) started when I was 14, and has got neither better nor worse since, I have never regarded it as a cause for concern.

However, my 70-300mm zoom lens has recently been making a sound as if something is not engaging, at the 300mm end of the range, which suggests it may be developing a fault. Not that I can complain, I have subjected it to a level of usage many would not normally reach. I took it to a repair shop, where the helpful, if lugubrious, assistant was confident that the issue was with the Vibration Reduction (VR) unit.

VR is a wonderful thing, but not particularly relevant for sport. As a rough rule of thumb, you start to have a problem with the shake from hand holding the camera at a shutter speed slower than 1/focal length. VR provides additional stabilisation, allowing crisp images to be captured up to 4 shutter speed settings slower, and it works, I have taken pictures at 1/125s at 300mm. However, I rarely use speeds that slow taking sports action, we can get away with 1/200s, but any slower will usually not freeze enough of the action.

So, when shooting sports I usually turn the VR off. That does not isolate it, and when it goes wrong, it er, vibrates - fortunately only for half a second, after which I can focus normally. After talking to the man in the shop, I decided to see how it develops, as the remedy in any event is to replace the VR unit, which is quite expensive.

It was with my equipment thus impaired that I set off to Prescot Cables' home international friendly against Flint Town United of the Huws Gray Alliance. The weather was much more like we would expect on a summer evening than last week.
Davison Banda
Andy McCoy
With the mixture of bright sunshine and long shadows, the Auto ISO really comes into its own, with lighting conditions varying in a single run or pass.

At this time of year, every week brings sunset 10 - 12 minutes earlier, so the floodlights came on for the second half.
Luke Edwards
With the natural light assisted by the lights early in the half, I did not manage to get rid of a slightly pink hue, but later on, I got the results we expect under the lights.
Matty Parker

I also spoke with our programme editor, Paul Watkinson, who explained that we have new printers this year, which allows a different picture on the cover for each game if we wish, so I will be providing some pictures for that. Paul very wisely (from his point of view) persuaded me to send 2 or 3 from which to choose, in the same way I do with the Liverpool Echo. We will look at the requirements for the programme cover in more detail in a future post, I think it will be a bit different from the paper, whose priority is to have a picture to go with the words, and can be summed up as: 1 - goals, 2 - goal scorers, 3 anything else.

The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment