Thursday 17 October 2013

Quaker oats

Prescot Cables' fixture at  Darlington was eagerly anticipated, with a larger than normal coach with tickets issued, and the proprietor of the Sun Inn laid on a reasonably priced breakfast. I am not keen on a long trip only to go to the game and come straight home, so I travelled by train on Friday (the 10:22, naturally), and visited Richmond and the National Railway Museum at Shildon. Making these journeys by bus, the locals looked strangely at my city ways of getting up as soon as I have rung the bell - follow the instructions to remain seated until the bus has stopped where I live and you will be on the bus for all eternity.

Darlington 1883 currently play at Bishop Auckland, and have announced plans to ground share with Darlington RFC, about half a mile from Darlington FC's old Feethams ground. Much of the historic industry and commerce of the town was developed by the Quaker community, reflected in the club's nickname. I am not sure even Joseph Pease, a founder of the Stockton & Darlington Railway and the first Quaker to sit in Parliament, who did not remove his hat in the Commons Chamber, wore one like this.
I expected the weather to be cold but dry, which will teach me to look at the probability of rain on the Met Office app, not just the headline weather symbol. There was an almost constant drizzle, and the floodlights were on throughout. Grey conditions create photographic opportunities, particularly when the opposition are in black and white, as our players provide a splash of colour in an almost monochrome background where the rain gives even the grass a greyish tinge.
Carl Furlong goes for a header.
Even the crowd's coats provided a background of muted tones - apart from one little chap.
James McCulloch
The rain gave a fine mist over the pictures at the far end of the pitch, significant in what was a strong defensive performance. Rob Doran was particularly active in breaking out of defence, and was rewarded with a goal.
Rob Doran
The rain was more problematic in the second half, as there was a breeze blowing on to the front of the lens, so I was spending a lot of time cleaning it, assisted by Luke, one of our pharmacologists. He only looked after lens hood for one of these operations, but I like to be generous with the assistant credits. A position at the side of the pitch did not bring much improvement. The best option would have been to return to our own half, but a lot of home supporters of the crowd of 1379 had moved to the end they were attacking, leaving it short of space. Despite Feethams having been one of the last Football League grounds at which it was possible to change ends at half time, a very small group of those home supporters remaining on the covered terracing seemed to take umbrage at any visiting supporters making a noise in their presence.

At least I was in position to get Ged Murphy's goal.
I also caught our appeal for a penalty for a foul on Callum Hoctor, turned down by the referee. The picture is as demisted as I could manage, so you can judge for yourself.
Darlington's second goal came from a free kick awarded for returning goalkeeper Adam Reid holding on to the ball for more than 6 seconds. I think this is the first time I have seen a free kick for this since the law changed from 4 steps a few years ago. I am not even sure I have seen a referee look at his watch when the goalkeeper takes the ball in his hands to determine how long it has been held.

I got a lot less pictures than usual from the second half, which reduced the overall slideshow. Not that it was an entirely bad thing: my computer decided not to start when I got back. I keep my old laptop in working order, but I hope to get my regular machine back from the repair shop by the weekend, as I am not sure I can face processing another set that slowly.

The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment