Friday 1 August 2014

Charnock Who?

The third game of Prescot Cables' pre season programme was away to Charnock Richard, of the West Lancashire League. Like my original home, the village was named after someone called Richard. My village was given its name from the surname of Richard Dereman, eventually becoming Dormansland, whereas one Richard, in the 13th Century, named the village of Charnock that he owned after himself, to distinguish it from nearby Heath Charnock.

I had to wait for a bus in Croston on the way, enough time for a pint in the Good Beer Guide listed Wheatsheaf. Up north, we need to be constantly aware of cold weather, so, even on a hot day in July, the coal scuttle was full and primed to deal with a drop in temperature without the need to go to the bunker in an unexpected blizzard. It's grim up north.

At the ground, I found a party in full swing, which turned out to be their beer festival. If I had known, I might have got the previous bus, easier said than done, as the train to Croston runs to an irregular timetable. More significantly, the festival incorporated a family fun day, involving a bouncy castle on the pitch. I wondered if I had missed the note common in fixtures at this time of year, like "At Trub & Slattocks FC" (those are real places, and really should have a club). As I contemplated alternative sporting entertainment at the cricket club, I spotted the new first team playing facilities across the road, laid out with a view to meeting the conditions for the North West Counties League as funds permit. Our hosts were playing their last friendly before their first competitive match, in the Wilf Carr Memorial Trophy, next week.

Green is a less than common club colour in football - some people think it can blend in against the pitch, although I am not sure myself. However, this was the third match in a row that we have played a team in green (with yellow in the case of Runcorn Linnets).
Jack Phillips
This was the first game of pre season for which a  team sheet was on display, so the process of putting names to faces could begin. A name has to be matched to a number on the player's back, and to a face, which is, to state the obvious, on the front. Sometimes you get both in one view.
Paul Aixon
For others, it is a matter of seeing a picture with a number...
... and comparing the three "B"s - boots (although I am old fashioned, I cannot deny a coloured pair can help identify a player), build, and barnet. We can then identify our player - in this case in traditional black boots.
Stephen Milne
There are easier ways to do it - numbers on the front of shirts, you know they make sense! I was quite happy with last season's kit in that respect.

Another familiar face from last season is James Cairns (who also played in midweek, but came on when the light was starting to fade).
James Cairns
Joining us from further afield was Lee JungHwan from Busan in South Korea. I have not had chance to speak to him yet, but I think he is studying at the University of Liverpool. It may be some time before he is able to turn out in a regular game, as there will be more than the usual international clearance required if he is not a permanent EU resident.
Lee JungHwan
After the game, I went for the bus to Croston. Nextbuses.mobi was working again in Lancashire, although I would not have minded knowing that the train was half an hour late, as, added to the scheduled wait, I would have had time for further refreshment in the Wheatsheaf. Still, the Friends of Croston Station have planted a garden on the disused platform, making pleasant surroundings in which to read the paper. Traveline came into its own: I was keen to avoid the crowds in Liverpool City Centre for the Giants Spectacular, I had missed my planned connection, and it came up straight away with a new one I would never have thought of myself.

The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen here.

Final score Charnock Richard 3, Prescot Cables 2 (Prince 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment